How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community?
Prompt Response: Living around Atlanta has influenced the way I see community and culture because much of the community I live around is Latino or Black. I grew up in an area where it was common to see people who were also the same ethnicity as you, I grew up around many Mexicans, Hondurans, Puerto Ricans, Salvadorians, etc. When I eventually started school I started seeing more black and white people, Atlanta is known for the majority race being black so it wasn't a big deal however, outside of the area around Atlanta, white people are uncommon to me at least, it was a bit of a culture shock when I started seeing white people since I grew up with people of color around me. If someone was unfamiliar to Atlanta, I would tell them it is a very welcoming city for people of color and there is Southern hospitality here, the city is diverse with the different places they have for each ethnic community.
Summary: In class we listened and read a speech by Keisha Lance Bottom from 2020 where she discussed the current state of the city with protest escalating into violent ones.
Reflection: We learned how to use rhetorical situation and appeals to analyze a speech to better understand the author's reason for why she delivered the speech and the general message.
Comments
Post a Comment